Moving Calculator’s Packing Cost Estimate
Moving Calculator accurately estimates full and partial packing costs based on the size of your move. Moving Calculator’s packing cost estimates are based on a combination of local packing rates and interstate tariff packing rates. Estimated packing costs include the packing materials and labor required to pack your items so they are “move ready”.
Selecting Full Packing on the Moving Calculator includes the material and labor costs required to pack your entire household.
Selecting Partial Packing on the Moving Calculator includes the material and labor costs required to pack a portion of your household. This may include packing a single area, such as the kitchen, or specialty packing, such as crating high value items.
Hiring Professional Packers
Although packing may not require the heavy lifting that moving does, packing your items is a time consuming process that is best left to the professionals. Hiring professionals ensures your items are properly packed and labeled to travel locally or long distance. Full service moving companies are equipped to handle packing your entire household or only a portion.
A moving company will typically pack your home the day before your move. This allows you access to your items until the date of your move. The process of a typical pack day includes:
- Performing a walkthrough with the pack team to point out all items you would like packed.
- The pack team will careful pack and label each box by room and contents.
- At the end of the day perform a final walkthrough to ensure all items you want moved are packed.
- The pack team will take an inventory of the materials used and packing costs are calculated based on the actual materials used.
Hiring professional packers also saves time during the move. Since each box is packed correctly and are standard sizes, movers can carry and load them more efficiently. Boxes that are packed by professionals are easier to move and load onto the truck than totes and mix-matched sized boxes. Professional packers will also use the necessary amount of packing materials to prevent them crushing one another while stacked.
If you plan on packing yourself it is important to start early. Begin by packing items you use less frequently (holiday décor, seasonal clothing, and storage items). Move on to items you use regularly as your move date approaches. When the movers show up you will be completely packed. Check out our detailed approach to packing your home for more information.
Packing with the Right Boxes
Finding the cheapest boxes for packing may seem like a great way to cut costs while moving, but sacrificing quality may lead to damages while moving. When buying packing materials to pack yourself you need to consider:
- Buying corrugated cardboard boxes that are stronger than regular boxes to pack your heavier items.
- Having different size boxes to pack any type of belonging.
- Using strong tape to avoid the bottoms of boxes opening while transporting.
- Having a significant amount of packing paper to completely fill each box.
Finding Packing Services in Your Area
When calculating your estimated move and packing costs using Moving Calculator you will be connected with movers that offer packing services in your area. Moving Calculator’s recommended network of movers include full service companies that provide expert packing services and packing supplies.